Sunday, May 31, 2009

A New Hobby

In February I decided I was going to start running with the intentions of training for a 1/2 marathon this fall. I bought my first pair of running shoes and found a Couch to 5K training program to get me going and I started my 10 week training program in March. Little did I know of what this new hobby would sprout. I have found so much joy in running the last 3 months, it has been a time for me to thought process, pray, and just simply have "me time". I have also found wonderful running partners, my family! Brody decided to start running as well and we take turns running with Clayton and Farrah.
I ran my first timed 5K race with Clayton the first part of May and then my official 5K race at the end of my training program a couple weeks later.



Brody and I ran our first race together May 17 in San Fransisco called "Bay to Breakers", a 12K. It was quite an experience to run with more than 30,000 people, some completely naked! It was a crazy first race, but so much fun and such a memorable event for us. I am so thankful to have ran my first race with my best friend.

There is something about having a finish that brings such an amount of accomplishment, joy, victory, and perseverance, knowing the end is near. Persevere, Brody brought this word up one day on a run and I have thought a lot about it lately. Perseverance is how I would describe overcoming the 1 mile hill in the bay to breaker race, overcoming the intense side aches without stopping, or the feeling of just wanting to collapse and quit at mile 5. I came across Everyday Becky and was inspired by her post on perseverance and her beginning journey with running. She had also posted this verse from Hebrews 12:1 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." I love to find scripture that speaks to me. I have also found inspiration in a book that a friend gave me to read, Sole Sisters, stories of women and running. Next to being a wife and mother, I have found a love for running.
I look forward to our next race July 26th in Santa Cruz, the "Wharf to Wharf" 10K !!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found me! : ) It's amazing how similar our lives are at the moment. I'm glad you enjoyed your races so much. Reading your post makes me so excited to get back to it. I'm recovering really well, so hopefully it won't be long.

    Thank you for recommending Sole Sisters. I can't wait to read it. I think I'll buy two copies. I needed a gift for a friend, and I know she'll love it, too.

    Have a great week!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so awesome danna! its been neat watching your love for running develop. its so nice to find something that you enjoy AND gives you that "mommy time".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the races!!! That's awesome that you and Brody have found something you can enjoy together. Just like you mentioned, running is great in so many ways.

    Enjoy Santa Cruz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran the wharf to wharf twice w/ my dad - that is SUCH a fun one! Good JOB on your races so far - I just hurt my shoulder but as soon as that's healed (& I get a double jogger) I want to start running again - I miss that!!

    ReplyDelete